If you want to build up an unhealthy dose of rage, I’d suggest taking a few minutes to read the article at the link above. To sum it up, Mike Lupica states that white Americans are all racist yet had little choice to vote for Barack Obama in 2008 simply because John McCain ran such a terrible campaign as well as the mess George W. Bush left us after eight years in office.
I’m sorry but the 2008 election showed that we as a country were finally able to consider an African American for President based on what he had to offer, NOT based on the color of his skin. If we wanted to vote a minority as President simply to say we did, we would have voted in a minority as President a long time ago.
After close to four years in office, Barack Obama now has to run based on his job performance as President and guess what, his record hasn’t been all that great. As I’ve stated in previous columns, there are some factors he’s faced that tied his hands a bit compared to what other Presidents faced during the same amount of time in office. However, when push comes to shove his name will be on the ballot come November and people will be basing their decision of whether they want to vote him back into office based on his record. While he did inherit a bad economic situation from Bush, the fact is he made some bad steps of his own that helped bring him to this point.
Another point of the article that made me mad was the mention of Romney’s religion in relation to Obama’s race. Seems someone he spoke to about this Obama being black takes “Mormonism off the board”, like being black or Mormon are two things that can somehow affect how a person performs the job as President. These are non-issues. Yes, you may find some hick somewhere who will cast their vote based on something as ridiculous as this but the majority of voters in this country, just as they did in 2008, will vote for either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney based on how well they can convince the public that they can perform the job as President. In Romney’s case, if you think his religion is wacky, fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yet his religious choice has NO MERIT whatsoever in terms of how he would be as President. None at all.
Also, the contention that all white folks are apparently racist yet not brave enough to say it to pollsters is ridiculous. I remember election night in 2008, I was listening to NPR while walking home from work and they interviewed a woman who said she didn’t vote for Obama because she felt the country wasn’t ready for a black President. Are there white people who will vote that way this November? Sure. Yet taking the small number of folks that will let something like race or religion affect their vote and somehow coming up with the notion that all white people are racist is ridiculous.
Are there people in this country who made their voting decisions based on stupid reasons? Yes there are. The worst thing about this article is that there are unfortunately some truths in there. Some people are ignorant and think of election time like it was voting for the king or queen at a high school prom. Is racism dead in America? No, and I’d be a fool if I claimed it was. As long as you have humans on this planet, they’ll continue to find ways to hate others for no real reason. What the election in 2008 said to me, and maybe I’m naive and don’t have as good a pulse on the country as I think I do, is that we’ve reached a point in our history where we can now let something as silly as race NOT determine whether we vote for someone for the most important political position in this country. As I said, Barack Obama is President now because people liked his ideas and thought he’d do a better job than who the Republicans were offering up. This November, voters will have that same mindset and either re-elect him or vote him out of office based on his job performance, which is how it should be. Creating an article like Mr. Lupica wrote, attempting to say that if Obama loses it will simply be because he’s black, is moronic. He’s simply realizing that Obama has dug himself a bit of a hole based on his job performance and is trying to find rationalizations that will comfort him if he loses this November. I still stand by what I wrote in my article covering the five reasons why I feel Obama will be re-elected (http://bullshitfighter.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/top-5-reasons-why-barack-obama-will-be-re-elected-president-in-november/) [Even though I support Gary Johnson...hehe] Yet anyone thinking that he doesn’t have weaknesses he really needs to work on before Election Day that could tank his re-election bid are fooling themselves. Creating articles like this won’t help matters any. Mike Lupica should be ashamed of himself for writing such horrible garbage.
- Gallup Poll: Mormons Widely Favor Romney and Jewish Voters Back Obama (themoderatevoice.com)
- NY Daily News Columnist: Racist Nation Prepares To Reject Obama Because He Is Black (mediaite.com)
- Scott Walker’s Recall Victory Shows Barack Obama May Be Bleeding Youth Vote (usnews.com)
- Liberals Threaten Not To Vote In November Over Disappointment With Obama (givemeliberty01.wordpress.com)
- Romney fundraising surpasses Obama for first time (nzherald.co.nz)
- Obama campaign woos Hispanics with TV, radio ads (sfgate.com)
- Obama Battles Romney Over Who Is Most in Touch on Economy – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Obama campaign woos Hispanics with TV, radio ads (miamiherald.com)
- GOP outplaying its Wisconsin hand (dailykos.com)
- Obama pins recovery hopes on Europe’s leaders – Reuters (in.reuters.com)
- President Barack Obama faces cracks in Democratic base (pennlive.com)
- FiveThirtyEight: Election Forecast: Obama Begins With Tenuous Advantage (fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Obama Caught Lying Again: He Was Member of Socialist ‘New Party,’ Says Kurtz (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Obama campaign woos Hispanics with TV, radio ads (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- President Barack Obama: “Private Sector is Doing Fine” (newstalkcleveland.com)
- Barack Obama Met Privately With 25 Young Hollywood Stars to Help His Reelection (gossipcop.com)
- President Obama Holds Press Conference On The Economy: “DO NOTHING” Congress (theobamacrat.com)
- Implications For Obama? Experts Weighs In On How NJ Primary Affects Presidential Race (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Right-Wing Ed Vs. Leftist Jackass – A Reckoning (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Priebus memo claims Wis. boost (politico.com)
- Obama Embraces Former Rival McCain (huffingtonpost.com)
- Many West Virginians Prefer Prison Inmate To Barack Obama Because Of Race (alan.com)
- US probes White House leak allegations (news.smh.com.au)
- What’s this? Obama longs for GOP rival like McCain (onlineathens.com)
- Obama: No more Mr. Nice guy (macleans.ca)
- In the 2012 Presidential Election Obama Won’t Go Tourist (themoderatevoice.com)
- GOP Rep. Joe Walsh Says The Country Only Elected President Obama Because He’s Black (thinkprogress.org)
- John McCain Calls On President Obama To Plug Intelligence Leaks (inquisitr.com)
- Game Changers: NYT Mike Lupica Bases New Book on Doug Flutie (bostonkayakguy.wordpress.com)
- Tom Brady and Gisele Preggers! (bostonkayakguy.wordpress.com)
- Mike Lupica’s Cheap Shots at Commissioner Bud Selig and Ryan Braun (bleacherreport.com)
- Hero (teensreadinplano.wordpress.com)
- Lupica: Yet Another year with no Triple Crown (nydailynews.com)
- Mike Lupica’s Disingenuous Attack on Andy Pettitte Is Disgusting and Wrong (bleacherreport.com)
- Mike Lupica to Join Dennis and Callahan to Talk About Celtics’ Game 2 Loss (nesn.com)
- DAY 024 // race and language and internet lingo. (jclswm2014.wordpress.com)